sinus of the dura maternoun
Medical Definition of sinus of the dura mater
: any of numerous venous channels (as the sagittal sinuses, straight sinus, and transverse sinuses) that are situated between the two layers of the dura mater, that have no valves, and that drain blood from the brain and the bones forming the cranium and empty it into the internal jugular vein
— called also dural sinus
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 10/18/19
- Noah Webster's Spelling Wins and Fails
- The Disputed Origins of the 'Egg Cream'
- At the Root of ‘Cubicle’
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Citation Play the game