Medical Definition of shipping fever
: an often fatal febrile disease especially of young cattle and sheep that occurs under highly stressful conditions (as shipment over long distances and crowding in feedlots), is marked by high fever and pneumonia, and is caused by bacteria (especially Mannheimia haemolytica synonym Pasteurella haemolytica) usually in association with a virus
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- We Added New Words to the Dictionary for September 2019
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?