variants: or sentinel lymph node
Medical Definition of sentinel node
: the first lymph node to receive lymphatic drainage from the site of a primary tumor studies concluded that sentinel node biopsy can predict whether axillary node metastasis is present— Lecia M. Apantaku the use of sentinel nodes for pathologic staging of bladder cancer— Anne Scheck
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game