Medical Definition of seborrheic dermatitis
: a red, scaly, itchy dermatitis chiefly affecting areas (as of the face, scalp, or chest) with many large sebaceous glands Topical antifungal agents are the mainstay of treatment of seborrheic dermatitis.— Luigi Naldi et al., The New England Journal of Medicine, 22 Jan. 2009 Seborrheic dermatitis—overstimulation of the oil glands, which results in dandruff and dry patches on your face—is often a chronic condition that may also show up on your scalp.— Corynne Corbett, Essence, November 1996
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
- Summer Reading Picks from Merriam-Webster Staffers
- The Wayward Cousins of 'Irregardless'
- Different Words for Luggage and Baggage
- Rapping on 'Bad Rap' and 'Bad Rep' (and 'Bad Wrap')
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- Slippery Words Quiz—Changing with the Times Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Bee Cubed Play the game