Medical Definition of salmeterol
: a bronchodilator administered by oral inhalation in the form of a salt C25H37NO4·C11H8O3 to treat bronchospasm associated especially with asthma and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease
Note: Salmeterol acts as an agonist, binding to beta-receptors that mediate the relaxation of bronchial muscles. When used in combination with fluticasone, it is marketed under the trademark Advair.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Word Puzzles Take the quiz
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game