Medical Definition of retrotransposon
: a transposable element that undergoes transposition from one place to another in the genome of a cell by forming an intermediate RNA transcript from which a copy of the DNA of the transposable element is made using a reverse transcriptase and inserted into the genome at a new location
— called also retroposon
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
- Lovelock to Trichologist: 8 Words About Hair
- The Haiku That Can Pay You Contest Winners
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?