Medical Definition of residual body
1 : a cytoplasmic vacuole containing the leftover products of digestion after fusion with the contents of a lysosome
2 : any of the small cytoplasmic masses that are shed from the developing sperms in spermiogenesis and that lack a nucleus but contain lipids, ribosomes, mitochondria, and cytoplasmic membranes
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Word Puzzles Take the quiz
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game