Medical Definition of ramus communicans
: any of the bundles of nerve fibers connecting a sympathetic ganglion with a spinal nerve and being divided into two kinds:
a : one consisting of myelinated preganglionic fibers
— called also white ramus, white ramus communicans
b : one consisting of unmyelinated postganglionic fibers
— called also gray ramus, gray ramus communicans
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game