Medical Definition of pyocyanin
: a toxic blue crystalline pigment C13H10N2O that is formed in the metabolism of a bacterium of the genus Pseudomonas (P. aeruginosa), gives a bluish tint to pus infected with this organism, is a quinone imine related to phenazine, and has antibiotic activity especially toward gram-positive bacteria
to affect and impair by alcohol or a drug
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game