Medical Definition of purging agaric
: a common white basidiomycetous fungus (Fomitopsis officinalis synonym Fomes officinalis of the family Polyporaceae) that is found in the United States and Europe on conifers (as larch and pine) and that has been used in medicine as a purgative
— called also white agaric
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Words of the Week - 6/18/21
- The Disparity Between 'Desperate' and 'Disparate'
- An Impartial View of 'Fair' and 'Fare'
- A Guide to Em Dashes, En Dashes, and Hyphens
Ask the Editors
- Return of Name that Color! Take the quiz
- Name that Thing: Dog Breeds Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game