Medical Definition of purging agaric
: a common white basidiomycetous fungus (Fomitopsis officinalis synonym Fomes officinalis of the family Polyporaceae) that is found in the United States and Europe on conifers (as larch and pine) and that has been used in medicine as a purgative
— called also white agaric
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
- Hot Enough for You? Words for the Summer Heat
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Bee Cubed Play the game