Medical Definition of punch biopsy
: a biopsy in which a small, round sample of tissue (such as skin) is obtained by using an instrument with a circular blade An incisional or punch biopsy that includes the most raised (or most deeply pigmented) portion of the lesion is acceptable if the lesion is too large for complete simple excision or is at a site where complete removal would cause substantial disfigurement.— Howard K. Koh, The New England Journal of Medicine, 18 July 1991
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
- The Wayward Cousins of 'Irregardless'
- Different Words for Luggage and Baggage
- Rapping on 'Bad Rap' and 'Bad Rep' (and 'Bad Wrap')
- 'Confuzzled': A Not So Confusing Definition
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- Slippery Words Quiz—Changing with the Times Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game