Medical Definition of puborectalis
: a band of muscle fibers that is part of the pubococcygeus, that passes from the pubic symphysis to interdigitate with the contralateral band of fibers forming a sling around the rectum at its junction with the anal canal, and that acts to hold the rectum and anal canal at right angles to each other except during defecation
standardized text or formulaic language
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Finance Words Quiz Take the quiz
- Namesakes Word Quiz Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game