Medical Definition of protoveratrine
1 : either of two toxic crystalline alkaloids obtained from hellebores of the genus Veratrum (especially V. viride of North America and V. album of Europe) and used in the treatment of hypertension
— called also respectively protoveratrine A, protoveratrine B
2 : a mixture of protoveratrine A and B used to treat hypertension
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
- Hot Enough for You? Words for the Summer Heat
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Bee Cubed Play the game