Medical Definition of protein-bound iodine
: the amount of iodine expressed in micrograms per 100 milliliters of blood serum that is precipitated with serum proteins and that serves as a measure of the activity of the thyroid gland the protein-bound iodine in the normal human being ranges from 4 to 8 micrograms, in hypothyroidism falls below this range, and in hyperthyroidism rises above it
standardized text or formulaic language
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Finance Words Quiz Take the quiz
- Namesakes Word Quiz Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Bee Cubed Play the game