Medical Definition of preoptic area
: a region of the brain that is situated immediately below the anterior commissure, above the optic chiasma, and anterior to the hypothalamus although it is not clearly demarcated from the hypothalamus and that regulates certain autonomic activities often with the hypothalamus
— called also preoptic region
a sum of money that is sent as a payment
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- Slippery Words Quiz—Changing with the Times Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game