Medical Definition of plantar artery
: either of the two terminal branches into which the posterior tibial artery divides:
a : one that is larger and passes laterally and then medially to join with a branch of the dorsalis pedis to form the plantar arch
— called also lateral plantar artery
b : one that is smaller and follows a more medial course as it passes distally supplying or giving off branches which supply the plantar part of the foot and the toes
— called also medial plantar artery
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 9/13/19
- A Guide to Using Colons
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?