Medical Definition of phonophobia
1 : pathological fear of sound or of speaking aloud
2 : an intolerance or hypersensitivity to sound Migraine is an episodic disorder manifested by headache accompanied by anorexia, nausea, vomiting, photophobia, and phonophobia.— Sid Gilman, The New England Journal of Medicine, 11 June 1992
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/23/19
- Getting to the Heart of 'Epicenter'
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
- It's a Scorcher! Words for the Summer Heat
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game