Medical Definition of phloxine
: either of two acid dyes or their sodium salts that are derivatives of eosin and are used chiefly as biological stains and organic pigments:
a : one containing two atoms of chlorine in each molecule
— called also phloxine B
b : one containing four atoms of chlorine in each molecule
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 9/13/19
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?