medical Definition of pharming
- Part of the reason why pharming has been so slow to take off is technological … . Getting plants to make foreign proteins such as antibodies requires genetic engineering, which is a slow, hit-and-miss process.
- —Hal Hodson, New Scientist, 2 June 2012
- … hoping to capitalize on “pharming”—altering animals genetically so they become drug factories pumping out medicine in milk and urine.
- —David Wahlberg, The Atlanta Journal-Constitution, 19 Jan. 2003
- Many students report what they call “pharming”: using stimulants for recreation and to work more efficiently (with a reduced need for sleep).
- —Richard Kadison, The New England Journal of Medicine, 15 Sept. 2005
- This isn't an ordinary party—it's a pharming party, a get-together arranged while parents are out so the kids can barter for their favorite prescription drugs.
- —Carolyn Banta, Time, 1 Aug. 2005