Medical Definition of parasomnia
: any of various disorders of sleep characterized by abnormal behavioral or physiological activity (such as sleepwalking or night terrors) during sleep or in the transitional stage between sleep and wakefulness There is a group of phenomena known as parasomnias, unpleasant physical activities that can occur when someone is in twilight state between deep sleep and wakefulness.— H. Lee Kagan, Discover, December 2008 The REM parasomnias are harder to explain. One, called sleep paralysis, is so terrifying that it has been blamed for reports of demon visitations and alien abductions.— Ann Finkbeiner, New Scientist, 30 Nov. 2013
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
- Lovelock to Trichologist: 8 Words About Hair
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game