Medical Definition of panniculitis
1 : inflammation of the subcutaneous layer of fat
2 : a syndrome characterized by recurring fever and usually painful inflammatory and necrotic nodules in the subcutaneous tissues especially of the thighs, abdomen, or buttocks
— called also relapsing febrile nodular nonsuppurative panniculitis, Weber-Christian disease
something valued as if it were money
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- Slippery Words Quiz—Changing with the Times Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game