Medical Definition of oxidation-reduction potential
: the standard potential of an atom or ion that undergoes oxidation at the anode or reduction at the cathode in an electrochemical cell as compared to the potential of a standard hydrogen electrode when it is undergoing the same process
— called also redox potential
showing great care, attention, and effort
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Finance Words Quiz Take the quiz
- Namesakes Word Quiz Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game