Medical Definition of ornithine transcarbamylase
: an enzyme of hepatic mitochondria that catalyzes the conversion of ornithine to citrulline as part of urea formation and that when deficient in the body results in hyperammonemia, vomiting, coma, seizures, and sometimes death
— called also ornithine carbamoyltransferase, ornithine transcarbamoylase
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Hot Enough for You? Words for the Summer Heat
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game