Medical Definition of numerical aperture
: a number that indicates the resolving power of a microscope objective and is equal to the product of the index of refraction of the medium (as immersion oil) in front of the objective and the sine of half the angle formed by two rays emanating from the object upon which the microscope is focused and entering the objective at either end of a diameter of the objective
an act or instance of returning to life
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game