Medical Definition of nociception
: the perception of a painful or injurious stimulus In reality, [infants] have all the anatomical and functional components required for nociception, and they react appropriately to painful stimuli.— Thomas E. Wiswell, The New England Journal of Medicine, 24 Apr. 1997
— called also nociperception
an act or instance of returning to life
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game