Medical Definition of neurofeedback
: the technique of making brain activity perceptible to the senses (as by recording brain waves with an electroencephalograph and presenting them visually or audibly) in order to consciously alter such activity This is neurofeedback, a kind of biofeedback for the brain, which practitioners say can address a host of neurological ills … by allowing patients to alter their own brain waves through practice and repetition.— Katherine Ellison, The New York Times, 5 Oct. 2010
— called also neurobiofeedback, neurotherapy
a sum of money that is sent as a payment
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- Slippery Words Quiz—Changing with the Times Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game