Medical Definition of necrotic enteritis
: either of two often fatal infectious diseases marked especially by intestinal inflammation and necrosis and by diarrhea:
a : one affecting young swine and caused by a bacterium of the genus Salmonella (S. choleraesuis)
— called also necro
b : one affecting poultry and especially young chickens and turkeys and caused by a bacterium of the genus Clostridium (C. perfringens)
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
- We Added New Words to the Dictionary for September 2019
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?