Medical Definition of mucous patch
: a broad, flat, erosive lesion of secondary syphilis that occurs on moist skin or mucous membranes and is often marked by a yellowish discharge During the secondary stage of syphilis, mucous patches, which have high concentrations of Treponema pallidum and are extremely infectious, might develop in the mouth. — The Journal of the American Medical Association, 24 Nov. 2004
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 9/13/19
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?