Medical Definition of monilethrix
: an inherited disease of the hair in which each strand of hair has a beaded appearance due to periodic narrowing of the hair shaft and that is marked chiefly by fragile, brittle hair and patchy alopecia
Note: Monilethrix is typically inherited as an autosomal dominant trait requiring only one parent pass on a copy of the defective gene on a chromosome other than a sex chromosome.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
- Lovelock to Trichologist: 8 Words About Hair
- The Haiku That Can Pay You Contest Winners
- Must 'Collide' Mean Two Moving Objects?
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game