Medical Definition of microcalcification
: a tiny abnormal deposit of calcium salts typically in the breast that is often benign but may be an indicator of breast cancer especially when appearing in compact clusters or a linear or branching pattern A mammogram detects microcalcifications, which are tiny specks of calcium in the breast that may indicate cancer even before actual tumors form.— Andrew Weil, Self Healing, February 2008
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Is the Word 'Freshman' Going Out of Style?
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/23/19
- Getting to the Heart of 'Epicenter'
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Citation Play the game