Medical Definition of metaproterenol
: a bronchodilator that is administered in the form of its sulfate (C11H17NO3)2·H2SO4 in the treatment of bronchial asthma and reversible bronchospasm associated with bronchitis and emphysema
— called also orciprenaline
Note: Metaproterenol acts as an agonist, binding to beta-receptors that mediate the relaxation of the bronchial muscles.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game