Medical Definition of metaproterenol
: a bronchodilator that is administered in the form of its sulfate (C11H17NO3)2·H2SO4 in the treatment of bronchial asthma and reversible bronchospasm associated with bronchitis and emphysema
— called also orciprenaline
Note: Metaproterenol acts as an agonist, binding to beta-receptors that mediate the relaxation of the bronchial muscles.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Hot Enough for You? Words for the Summer Heat
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?