Medical Definition of mercuric oxide
: either of two forms of a slightly water-soluble crystalline poisonous compound HgO:
a : a yellow finely divided powder obtained usually by precipitation from solutions of mercuric chloride and sodium hydroxide and used in antiseptic ointments
b : a bright red coarse powder obtained by precipitation from hot solutions or by heating a nitrate of mercury and used similarly to the yellow form
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 9/13/19
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?