Medical Definition of maidenhair
: any of the genus Adiantum of ferns including two North American forms (A. pedatum and the Venushair, A. capillus-veneris) that have been used in the preparation of expectorants and demulcents
— called also maidenhair fern
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Disparity Between 'Desperate' and 'Disparate'
- An Impartial View of 'Fair' and 'Fare'
- A Guide to Em Dashes, En Dashes, and Hyphens
- The Words of the Week - 6/11/2021
Ask the Editors
- Name that Thing: Dog Breeds Take the quiz
- Words You Should Know Quiz, Vol. 1 Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game