Medical Definition of macrolide
: any of several antibiotics (as erythromycin or clarithromycin) that contain a usually 14- to 16-membered macrocyclic lactone ring, inhibit bacterial RNA-dependent protein synthesis, and are effective especially against gram-positive bacteria (such as staphylococci and streptococci)
to form ideas or theories about something
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Farm Idioms Quiz Take the quiz
- Up in the Sky: A Quiz Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Bee Cubed Play the game