variants: also loperamide hydrochloride
Medical Definition of loperamide
: a synthetic antidiarrheal agent that slows intestinal peristalsis and is taken orally in the form of its hydrochloride C29H33ClN2O2·HCl to control acute nonspecific diarrhea or chronic diarrhea associated with inflammatory bowel disease or to reduce fecal volume discharged from ileostomies
Note: Loperamide is marketed under the trademark Imodium.
incapable of being surmounted or overcome
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words for Summer: A Quiz Take the quiz
- Finance Words Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game