long terminal repeatnoun
Medical Definition of long terminal repeat
: an identical sequence of several hundred base pairs at each end of the DNA synthesized by the reverse transcriptase of a retrovirus that controls integration of the viral DNA into the host DNA and expression of the genes of the virus
— called also LTR— compare tandem repeat
incapable of being surmounted or overcome
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Finance Words Quiz Take the quiz
- Namesakes Word Quiz Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game