long terminal repeatnoun
Medical Definition of long terminal repeat
: an identical sequence of several hundred base pairs at each end of the DNA synthesized by the reverse transcriptase of a retrovirus that controls integration of the viral DNA into the host DNA and expression of the genes of the virus
— called also LTR— compare tandem repeat
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 5/24/19
- Summer Reading Picks from Merriam-Webster Staffers
- The Wayward Cousins of 'Irregardless'
- Different Words for Luggage and Baggage
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Challenging Vocabulary Quiz Returns! Take the quiz
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game