Medical Definition of lipofuscin
: a usually yellowish brown, pigmented, insoluble granule that contains protein and lipid and accumulates in cells (as of the heart, liver, or brain) as part of the normal aging process or sometimes in association with diseased states These pigments, also known as lipofuscins, are thought to be the waste products of oxidative metabolism, and they are stored within each cell of the body and accumulate with time.— Stephen Nicol, BioScience, December 1990 — see lipofuscinosis
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Summer Reading Picks from Merriam-Webster Staffers
- The Wayward Cousins of 'Irregardless'
- Different Words for Luggage and Baggage
- Rapping on 'Bad Rap' and 'Bad Rep' (and 'Bad Wrap')
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- Slippery Words Quiz—Changing with the Times Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game