Medical Definition of lipofuscin
: a usually yellowish brown, pigmented, insoluble granule that contains protein and lipid and accumulates in cells (as of the heart, liver, or brain) as part of the normal aging process or sometimes in association with diseased states These pigments, also known as lipofuscins, are thought to be the waste products of oxidative metabolism, and they are stored within each cell of the body and accumulate with time.— Stephen Nicol, BioScience, December 1990 — see lipofuscinosis
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why is there a 'd' in 'fridge' but not in 'refrigerator'?
- 'All Intensive Purposes' or 'All Intents and Purposes'?
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Name that Thing: Dog Breeds Take the quiz
- Words You Should Know Quiz, Vol. 1 Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game