levator palpebrae superiorisnoun
Medical Definition of levator palpebrae superioris
: a thin flat extrinsic muscle of the eye arising from the lesser wing of the sphenoid bone, passing forward and downward over the superior rectus, and inserting into the tarsal plate of the skin of the upper eyelid which it raises
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
- Lovelock to Trichologist: 8 Words About Hair
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game