Medical Definition of leuconostoc
1 capitalized : a genus of gram-positive nonmotile coccal bacteria that do not form spores, usually occur in pairs and chains, and are facultative anaerobes and that include several pests in sugar refineries that produce slime in sugar solutions
2 : any bacterium of the genus Leuconostoc
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 9/13/19
- A Guide to Using Colons
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?