Medical Definition of lactulose
: a synthetic disaccharide C12H22O11 used as a laxative for chronic constipation and as an acidifier to reduce blood ammonia levels causing neurological symptoms in advanced liver disease
Note: Lactulose is used in solution for oral or rectal administration.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Citation Play the game