Medical Definition of ipecac syrup
: an emetic and expectorant liquid preparation that is widely used to induce vomiting in accidental poisoning, that contains the alkaloids emetine and cephaeline, and that is prepared by extracting the ether-soluble alkaloids from powdered ipecac and mixing them with glycerol and a syrup
— called also syrup of ipecac
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Word Puzzles Take the quiz
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game