Medical Definition of intervening variable
: a variable (as memory) whose effect occurs between the treatment in a psychological experiment (as the presentation of a stimulus) and the outcome (as a response), is difficult to anticipate or is unanticipated, and may confuse the results
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Is the Word 'Freshman' Going Out of Style?
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/23/19
- Getting to the Heart of 'Epicenter'
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?