Medical Definition of insula
: the lobe in the center of the cerebral hemisphere that is situated deeply between the lips of the sylvian fissure
— called also central lobe, island of Reil
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Word Puzzles Take the quiz
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game