Medical Definition of infectious laryngotracheitis
: a severe highly contagious and often fatal disease of chickens and pheasants that affects chiefly adult birds, is caused by a herpesvirus (species Gallid herpesvirus 1 of the subfamily Alphaherpesvirinae) related to the two viruses causing Marek's disease, and is characterized by inflammation of the trachea and larynx often marked by local necrosis and hemorrhage and by the formation of purulent or cheesy exudate interfering with breathing
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- We Added New Words to the Dictionary for September 2019
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?