iliotibial band syndromenoun
Medical Definition of iliotibial band syndrome
: a sports injury that is marked by diffuse pain in the lateral part of the knee and results from inflammation of the iliotibial band due to overuse (as in long-distance running) as it slides across the lateral condyle of the femur as the knee is flexed and extended repeatedly About 15 miles into the race, he experienced iliotibial band syndrome, an injury common to runners that produced pain mainly on the side of his knee.— Solomon Crenshaw Jr., The Birmingham (Alabama) News, 5 Nov. 2008
an act or instance of returning to life
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game