Medical Definition of hydroxybenzoic acid
: any of three crystalline derivatives C7H6O3 of benzoic acid that contain one hydroxyl group per molecule: as
a : the colorless para-substituted acid used in making several of its esters that are effective preservatives
— called also parahydroxybenzoic acid
b : salicylic acid
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Word Puzzles Take the quiz
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game