Medical Definition of hydroxybenzoic acid
: any of three crystalline derivatives C7H6O3 of benzoic acid that contain one hydroxyl group per molecule: as
a : the colorless para-substituted acid used in making several of its esters that are effective preservatives
— called also parahydroxybenzoic acid
b : salicylic acid
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 'Bounty Hunter': A Hollywood Invention
- Casting Light on 'Angel'
- Words We're Watching: 'Lewk'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 11/8/19
Ask the Editors
- Confusing Words—A Quiz Take the quiz
- Here Be Dragons: A Creature Identification Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game