Medical Definition of hydrofluoroalkane
: any of various gaseous alkanes that contain carbon, fluorine, and hydrogen and are used especially as aerosol propellants in metered-dose inhalers Like CFCs, the alternative propellant, hydrofluoroalkane (HFA), is inert in the human airway, but unlike CFCs, it does not contribute to depletion of the stratospheric ozone layer.— Christopher H. Fanta, The New England Journal of Medicine, 5 Mar. 2009 —abbreviation HFA
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
- Lovelock to Trichologist: 8 Words About Hair
- The Haiku That Can Pay You Contest Winners
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game