Medical Definition of horseradish peroxidase
: a peroxidase that occurs in the root of the horseradish (Armoracia lapathifolia of the mustard family), that produces a distinctive color when exposed to an appropriate solution, and that is used as a label for antibody-antigen complexes, as a cytochemical marker in immunohistochemical staining, and as a tracer to follow the course of individual neurons since it is transported by most neural pathways
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
- Lovelock to Trichologist: 8 Words About Hair
- The Haiku That Can Pay You Contest Winners
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game