Medical Definition of horse botfly
: a cosmopolitan botfly of the genus Gasterophilus (G. intestinalis) that glues its eggs to the hairs especially of the forelegs of horses from where they are taken into the mouth and then hatch into young bots, pass into the stomach, and become attached to the lining
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 'Bounty Hunter': A Hollywood Invention
- Casting Light on 'Angel'
- Words We're Watching: 'Lewk'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 11/8/19
Ask the Editors
- Confusing Words—A Quiz Take the quiz
- Here Be Dragons: A Creature Identification Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game