Medical Definition of horse botfly
: a cosmopolitan botfly of the genus Gasterophilus (G. intestinalis) that glues its eggs to the hairs especially of the forelegs of horses from where they are taken into the mouth and then hatch into young bots, pass into the stomach, and become attached to the lining
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Word Puzzles Take the quiz
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game