Medical Definition of histocompatibility antigen
: any of the polymorphic glycoprotein molecules on the surface membranes of cells that aid in the ability of the immune system to determine self from nonself, that bind to and display antigenic peptide fragments for T cell recognition, and that are determined by the major histocompatibility complex
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 5/24/19
- Summer Reading Picks from Merriam-Webster Staffers
- The Wayward Cousins of 'Irregardless'
- Different Words for Luggage and Baggage
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Challenging Vocabulary Quiz Returns! Take the quiz
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game